Tuesday, December 09, 2008

the trip - a smokers hell

my friend doyle jeter kindly driving me to the airport this morning [he doesnt smoke, but owns a bar where it's allowed]

non smoking flght- monroe to atlanta

non smoking flight- atlanta to zurich

jackie and albert met me in zurich [they dont smoke]

we had coffee and gipfli [croissants] in the non smoking airport cafe [which was smoking last year]

BUT i smoked in one of the very civilized and clean glass booths they provide

they got me on the train: zurich to visp -[also non smoking] there used to be smoking cars- but, no more

view from the taxi [also non smoking]: visp to zermatt

in the "non smoking" prison room i'll occupy [unless they can put me elsewhere] for a week.

dressing to go outside and smoke- but 1st making a document of it

view of the famous f-ing Matterhorn, looking like Vesuvius smoking- from my balcony

me, at the smoking section of my hotel room in Zermatt, Switzerland-on my snow covered balcony in about 20F weather! not only is the whole hotel non smoking, but, so is the bar; a non smoking bar? what is goddam world goming to? this will be a week of absolute hell!

[c] 2008 doug duffey