Friday, January 09, 2009

zermatt- 01.09.2009

one of the little electric trucks here- only electric cars are allowed in zermatt

in the entrance of the hotel style- having a smoke and coffee

morning finger exercises

at the piano in the bar

my morning shot of the matterhorn from my balcony

january 9, 2009/zermatt- we're back... we got here 2 days ago but due to the unforseen lack of nouveau riche russians throwing their gazillions about, the town is empty; which is very unusual for zermatt at this time of year.

we begin playing tonight, after 2 nights rest and acclimation, here in the hotel; it was good to have those 2 days rest, as the thin dry air and this high altitude makes everyone tired. i was ready for sleep at 9PM last night but forced myself to stay awake until 3AM, since we normally start playing at 10PM. i wanted to get my body clock set.

it's nice to be back. everyone here is 'tres gentil'; it is also not as cold as it was last time [-12 below zero] and today the sun is shining, and the streets are clear of snow and ice. hani, sebi and i are going into the town center in a while to "faire le commission" or "make the groceries" as is said in new orleans [direct translation from french] - i need 'room food'

fotos from later:hani & the matterhorn- on my balcony before shopping

beautiful downtown zermatt

happy sebi w/burger- mcdonald's lunch after shopping

happy hani w/fish sandwiches & veggie burger- mcdonald's lunch after shopping

happy dougie w/veggie burger- mcdonald's lunch after shopping- thank you, america!

eric in the streets

street shot

horse & man leg shot

rauchen frau mit pferd shot

schweizer polizei shot - maybe giving the man a ticket for driving too slow?

later:
hani, sebi, and i walked to the town center and got food/goods for the room, then hit mcdonald's for lunch. thank god, they had veggie burgers. normally i dont eat white bread [or food] and would have not have had mayo on mine, but forgot to tell them "ohne mayonnaise, bitte"- and WTF, i won't burn in vegan hell for a dollop of mayo! so had that and a salad. sebi and hani had about 3 sandwiches each; we were ALL happy campers.

poor hani schlepped my grocery bag for me, because of my recently arthritic right arm which is killing me; nothing seems to help. my new pain meds knock me out, then wake me up. if i take them at bedtime, forget it! my others wire me up; but... dragging & schlepping luggage onto and off trains 2 days ago didn't help. but i'll survive this like i've survived everything else in my life...or not... c'est la vie

there seem to be people in the town today- so maybe tonight- our 1st night to play- will be good. i KNOW the band will be good. i just hope there's a crowd to enjoy this special magic we make together.

i got some cute little paper tubes of instant coffee while out, and since the tap water here is boiling, it beats going downstairs every time i want a coffee. it w/some soy milk, and a cigarette on the balcony while the sun is still shining and it's somehwat warm [so i dont freeze my cajones off] will be good... life aint so bad; nothing but luxury problems...

[c] 2008 doug duffey